The SPT DIVERSE DIRECTORS PROGRAM is committed to helping talented artists of diverse backgrounds build TV industry relationships for a possible career path as a DGA scripted TV episodic director. Program participants may be selected to shadow directors on episodes of scripted SPT series. Those participants who secure a shadow assignment on an episode, which will include pre-production, production and post-production (3 or more weeks), will be paid a weekly stipend when actively shadowing on any aspect of the production. The duration of any shadow assignment and the number of shadow assignments will be at the sole discretion of SPT.
The SPT DIVERSE DIRECTORS PROGRAM is open to all individuals who can submit verification that they have the legal right to work in the United States on SPT productions for the duration of the program. Previous professional TV production experience is strongly preferred but not required.
All applicants must complete the online application below. To be eligible for the SPT DIVERSE DIRECTORS PROGRAM, the following MUST be submitted correctly online:
OPEN APPLICATION PERIOD
- WORK RESUME/BIO: A detailed employment history for the past 5 years must be scanned and uploaded to the website.
- STATEMENT OF INTENT: An essay limited to one page double-spaced in 12 point font explaining how your background and previous work experience make you uniquely suited for this Diverse Directors program. Must be scanned and uploaded to the website.
- LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION: 2 letters signed and dated from entertainment or media industry professionals who have viewed and can comment on your work must be scanned and uploaded to the website.
- VIDEO SUBMISSION: A single example of work directed by the applicant in the past 3 calendar years. All applicants must provide ONE completed narrative piece that demonstrates excellent linear story-telling skills with an observable beginning, middle and end and indicates an aptitude for scripted episodic TV.
Examples of appropriate directing samples include the following:
- A narrative short film or video that has been exhibited at a top tier film festival.
- TV pilot created for traditional television distribution.
- TV episode made for series distributed via traditional broadcast, cable or streaming channels.
- Feature-length movie that has either received distribution or was accepted to a top-tier film festival.
- Digital short or digitally distributed webisode that has generated no less than 10,000 views online.
- Commercial spot that has aired nationally or locally. No spec commercials.
- Music video created for Billboard ranked musical artists.
All submissions must be final sweetened cuts. TRAILERS, ROUGH CUTS AND COMPILATION REELS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- SUBMISSION LEGAL RELEASE FORM: You must carefully read the terms and conditions, click on the “I Accept” button, and submit your e-signature. If you do not complete this step, you will not be eligible for the program and your entire application will be rejected by the online application system.
The SPT DIVERSE DIRECTORS PROGRAM application process will open on June 8, 2016 and close on July 11, 2016 or the date at which the program receives a total of 450 applications, whichever occurs first. There is no application fee. Please do not call or email inquiries. Due to the high volume of applicants, we are not able to give feedback on applications or give information on application status.
In August, 2016, applicants must be available for interviews, either in person or by video conference. Those finally selected to enter the SPT DIVERSE DIRECTORS PROGRAM will be notified by August 29, 2016. Participants in the program selected for shadow assignments will begin shadowing in late September 2016.